Come The Shadows, by Wendy L. Young (review and Author interview)

4 Stars!

ABOUT THE BOOK - Campbell Creek, North Carolina has not seen a murder in seventeen years. When bones are discovered in the old bread factory Officer Will Harmon is determined to investigate, no matter who stands in his way. His wife Laura knows there is more troubling their town than one dead body, though, and the more she digs the more she finds. It's all up to them - and they will do whatever it takes to win against the darkness invading their town.

Here is a link to her website - HERE
B & N has it available for $2.99 (nook format) - HERE
Amazon (kindle format) - HERE
Also available on Amazon in PB for $9.99 - HERE

MY REVIEW - I really liked this book! The only thing that kept me from giving it 5 stars was that it was a little slow in the beginning for me. I really started enjoying it more after Laura (Will's wife) was introduced, I loved her character! I liked Will, I just like reading about Women more. Especially strong women, and Laura had a strong character. I  liked the way she just took some things into her own hands. And she loved and honored her husband but didn't let him rule her. She had a mind of her own. Another woman I liked was Jessa (the ME and Will's sister) she had this tough cuteness about her that was very likable.

I also really liked the development of Will and Laura's marriage, their relationship was great! I loved the talking and teasing back and forth. It was like I was a fly on the wall. They made a very cute couple!

A lot of books revolve around a coffee shop or diner or a bookstore. This story has a "Pie Shop" I loved this idea! I do hope Wendy develops this even more in future books.

I am not normally a "mystery" reader but I surprised myself and really like this book. I think it was mainly due to Laura and her relationship with Will. I was so into the second half of this book I found myself reading right through "So You Think You Can Dance"!!! And it takes a lot for that to happen! I am really looking forward to reading more by this Author!

Thank you Wendy L Young for sending me an e-book copy of your book!

Interview with the Author -

You are such a good writer, everything planned out just so, great character development, story tied up in a neat bow. Even if this is your first book this obviously isn't your first time writing... What is your writing history? What are your experiences?
Thank you so much! I have been writing for a long time - at least since the 5th grade. I've dabbled in a little bit of everything - from poetry, to rewriting Sleeping Beauty hillbilly-style, (haha I like that idea!) and even songs, scripts and short stories. Writing the novel was daunting but extremely satisfying and I'm glad it worked out so well.

I noticed on the bottom of the cover page, it says "Book One"
So there will be more? And will you use all of the same characters (because I am kinda attached to them)? Will the second book start where this one left off? 
Book two is already in progress and about one quarter complete. It does follow most of the same characters and it takes off about six months after the end of Come the Shadows. I hope to have it out by Thanksgiving. 


In the very beginning, I was a little disappointed because the main characters were men, but then... You introduced Jessa and Laura (I loved them both) and I was happy.  Any thoughts on this and do you have plans for them in the future? Without giving away the story - I was not happy with the ending on Jessa, will we see her again? 
They will definitely be back. Laura is central to the story in book two, and really takes over lead from Will. At this point, I'm not sure how much I will have Jessa back in book two but I have definite plans for her in the future. She will not be forgotten! 


I have always wanted to ask this - Where did you come up with the names for your characters? I love the names Olivia and Maisie (two of Laura and Will's daughters) and Jessa (love that one too)? Did you just pick names randomly or do they have meaning, people from your past?
I love feminine, old-fashioned girl's names. I would love to have a little girl named Olivia, actually! I don't know anyone with these names though I do have a friend named Jess. Throughout the writing of this book I kept leaving the 'a' off Jessa by mistake.

All through the book Will and Laura have such a great relationship in their marriage. I love all their conversations back and forth. I see that you are married. Is this based on your relationship with your husband? Did you get your ideas from experience?
I think a lot of their marriage did come from my own, especially the banter - one or two lines were definitely ripped straight from our own conversations. In my short story “One Final Night” I showed the sadness of a marriage breaking down. Here I definitely wanted to show the opposite - a solid, fun, sweet relationship that both of them can rely on in thick and thin.

Where did you get the idea for the Pie Shop? I loved this idea! Are you a baker? And - What is your favorite Pie? (mine is Lemon Meringue).
That has a bit of a twisted genesis. A few years ago I wrote a fan script for the show Bones. Earlier this year I was facing piles and piles of notes and ideas and couldn't make the leap into actually starting a book. So, I decided to rewrite that script into a book. Only about 5% of it survived but the pie shop (a small nod in the script to Booth's love of pie) survived and thrived in the book. It's the heart of the town in so many ways!
I am not the best baker, really. As for favorite... I think I would have to say its Key Lime. (YUM! I love that too!)

What do you do when you are not writing?
A lot of things! I work from home full-time with a two-year old son running around the house. That takes up most of my time. I write when I can but I also make sure to enjoy some hobbies like reading, games, photography, and (from time to time) a bit of knitting and crochet. My husband and I also make sure to spend at least a small amount of time together every day. That little bit of couple time does wonders for the soul.

What are your favorite books and who are your favorite Authors?
I love a lot of different authors across many genres but my two favorites have to be J.R.R. Tolkien and Diana Gabaldon. The first for the amazing, imaginative stories that draw you in to a completely different world and the second for her ability to make you fall in love with a romance, characters, and countries that stand across time - literally. I have read her gigantic series, starting with Outlander, at least five or six times now.  (A lot of people have recommended that to me but I have never read it).

Thank you Wendy, so much, for sending me your book! I really enjoyed it. I definitely will be on the lookout for your next book. Good luck to you in the future!

Comments

  1. Great review and interview. How exciting.
    I have a friend that her grand-daughter, who is 5 yrs old, is named Olivia. Very beautiful name.
    I love J.R.R. Tolkien. He is one of my fav's.
    This book sounds like one that I would love to read....I love mysteries mixed with a little romance.
    It's neat that you both have the name Wendy. This too is a nice name!
    RJB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading books that take place in the state I live in, and I've noticed a lot of books lately set in North Carolina. Your review of Come the Shadows definitely caught my attention. I love the idea of a pie shop setting!
    Wonderful interview as well. I like that the author has used her own marriage as inspiration for this book. I'm definitely adding this to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having read the book it was nice to see what others say about it. I wouldn't begin to know how to write a proper review.

    Loved the interview!! Loved getting to see how she answered the questions. I was expecting you to ask about the 'Campbell Creek' name too. Campbell is a paternal family name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the great review, Wendy! I'm glad you enjoyed the read and I look forward to sending you an advanced copy of book 2 in a couple of months.

    The day you posted this it also came out in paperback (on Amazon) for anyone who isn't an e-book fan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A mystery that features a pie shop? That sounds wonderful to me, and like something that I'd like to check out. This was a really wonderful review. It seems like a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I am a new follower, love your blog, I really liked your review and interview, I can't wait to read my copy and review for Wendy, she's such a sweet lady :)

    Please come visit me anytime on my blog http://booksfromthepurplejellybeanchair.blogspot.com
    Nattie :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts