Speed Reviewing

4 STARS
Louise Parker is a classic southern belle. Well-dressed and well-mannered, she can’t help but be frustrated by her daughter. Wild Caroline goes to a strict Christian prep school where she cheats in math class and can only focus on becoming an actress, until she has to leave after she’s discovered in flagrante delicto with her drama teacher. In the meantime Louise is distracted by Missy, the daughter of her housekeeper, a born-again evangelical who assists her mother in between trying to convert Louise’s gay son. Despite the consequences of Caroline’s behavior, Louise finds herself wishing she could be as careless and wondering how her life would have turned out had she chosen a different path. Even with their differences, Louise’s thoughts eventually lead her to believe that Caroline may be more of a southern dame and Louise more of a rebel than either of them thought.

This book was hilarious and is dripping with southern charm. Quick easy read. Warning - lots of swearing and sexual situations. I don't know how she does it but this book also has lots of Christianity. A daughter who is a promiscuous tramp turned Born-again Christian. A son who starts out to be the perfect child turned Gay. With a mother who is full of southern charm and Wit!

 4 1/2 STARS
When Ginny receives thirteen little blue envelopes and instructions to buy a plane ticket to London, she knows something exciting is going to happen. What Ginny doesn't know is that she will have the adventure of her life and it will change her in more ways than one. Life and love are waiting for her across the Atlantic, and the thirteen little blue envelopes are the key to finding them in this funny, romantic, heartbreaking novel.

Loved it! Very well written and kept my attention all the way through. It was fun traveling all around the globe with  Ginny. This book does get sad, but I like sad books! I kept wondering why there would be a second book 5 yrs. later (The Last Little Blue Envelope)... Now I know! And now I HAVE to read the second book! It was not exactly a cliff hanger but definitely room for a second book.
This is a YA and is great for teen girls!

 4 1/2 STARS!
Maeve's story begins when she loses her job and vows to stop being flighty and irresponsible (flitterdegibbety). With her talking cockatiel in tow, Maeve heads west from the Carolinas, planning to reconnect with a friend who's found success in Hollywood. Her plan is predictably derailed when her car breaks down outside the town of Unknown, Ariz., where she's embraced by the locals and takes on a series of jobs—in a funky boarding house, at a bookstore owned by a handsome children's book author, at the local photo shop—while waiting on auto repairs. Chronic hypochondria leads her to seek out the town's doctor, and before long they begin a comfortable romance. Gentle humor and insight drive the sleepy story until a jarring but momentum-building conflict turns up, pushing the story toward a satisfying conclusion. 

The first half of this book was so hilarious, I was laughing with tears running down my face so I couldn't see the book. The second half of this book was sad at times, I had tears running down my face so I couldn't see the book. I love it when a book does that to me! It starts out as a chick-lit, quirky and funny and then gets serious, with a great ending! It is all done very well. I also got very attached to the characters. I would love to see a sequel! I was not ready to say good-bye to Maeve, I want to know what happens in her life.

Comments

  1. These sound great. Especially the last one. I've been itching to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, a book that can make you both laugh and cry, that's a good author :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you like 13 Little Blue Envelopes -- it was definitely a fun read! I'm looking forward to grabbing the sequel soon. Johnson's books are always a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these quick and easy reviews. I MUST put Leaving Unknown on my to-buy list; I LOVE books that make me laugh or make me cry, and a book that does both is tops!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts