Speed Reviewing

3 stars

A mysterious island.
An abandoned orphanage.
A strange collection of very curious photographs.
It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.

OK, this was, by far, the strangest book I have ever read! I gave it 3 stars because it kept my attention and I did want to finish it. It was clever and original. The ending made it seem like there might be a sequel, but I don't think I will be reading it. I just really don't care enough about what happens. I didn't like the ending, it all seemed very rushed, too much happening at once. The pictures were very freaky! It reminded me of a high school assignment where the teacher hands out a stack of pictures and tell the students to put them in random order and make up a story about them.
This book is VERY fantasy. It was like "A Series Of Unfortunate Events", "Alice in Wonderland", "James and the Giant Peach", and Stephen King all rolled up in one.
This was a library book.

4 Stars!
Grace Mills craves being perfect almost as much as she craves raspberry scones. In fact, her life would be perfect if only she could lose ten more pounds, if only the pastry café she co-owns with her sister would turn a profit, if only the hottest guy at the gym would look her way...
And then "if only" comes true. Grace is suddenly straddling two lives: an alternate reality where she's a size two, weathergirl celebrity and being chased by the hot guy. Only Mr. Gorgeous isn't very nice, and she doesn't get to eat...anything, much less bake!
In her other life, she's starting to realize her sister is less than happy running the family café, and hunky Carlos, the gym's janitor, seems to have a secret crush on her. Maybe there's more to him than meets the eye...

This was a very fun book to read. I have to admit, it was not a very original story line. I have read books about waking up in someone else's body a few times before. I know! Go figure that this would be a popular theme. But I still think this was well done and fun to read. It is actually pretty clean, hardly any swearing and not much sexual content. I was worried once. They were getting all hot and heavy and... saved by the bell - or an intruder, in this case. Which kept it clean, thank you very much! Great character development. Loved Grace and even her alter. I love Carlos and hated Max (you are suppose to hate him). Definitely worth the read.
I received this e-book from Carina Press and Netgalley.

5 Stars!!!!!
Pair soft, supple yarns in eye-catching colors with timeless yet contemporary designs and you have answered every knitter's dream. For more than 20 years, the studios of Classic Elite Yarns have created enduring patterns that beg to be knitted with their sumptuous products. In this pattern collection, a follow-up to best-selling Classic Elite Knits, the focus is on quick-to-make accessories. Knitters of all skill levels will love this value-packed collection of 100 patterns for socks, wraps, hats, gloves, bags, scarves, and more. Knitters can indulge themselves or find something to knit for every member of the family. The 120 color photos showcase the range of high-quality yarns as well, including cotton, wool, bamboo, angora, cashmere, and blended yarns. Classic Elite Quick Knits will keep knitters' hands busy for a long time to come.

Ahhh, I was so excited that I could download a knitting book on my nook! How fun is that? This book is great in every way. The patterns are excellent, definitely things I would make, and I am looking forward to making them! Items like - hats, fingerless mits, scarves and even a few baby items. My daughter has already picked out 5 things she would like me to make her. It has beautiful pictures and easy to follow graphs. With the nook you can easily make the patterns larger, so easier to read.
I am so excited about having this and I do hope Netgalley has more knitting books to offer in the future!
This was an e-book download from Taunton and Netgalley.

3 Stars
Krista Mueller is in a good place. She’s got a successful career as a professor of history; she’s respected and well-liked; and she lives hundreds of miles from her hometown and the distant mother she could never please. It’s been more than a decade since Alzheimer’s disease first claimed Charlotte Mueller’s mind, but Krista has dutifully kept her mother in a first-class nursing home.Now Charlotte is dying of heart failure and, surprised by her own emotions, Krista rushes to Taos, New Mexico, to sit at her estranged mother’s side as she slips away. Battling feelings of loss, abandonment, and relief, Krista is also unsettled by her proximity to Dane McConnell, director of the nursing home—and, once upon a time, her first love. Dane’s kind and gentle spirit—and a surprising discovery about her mother—make Krista wonder if she can at last close the distance between her and her mother … and open the part of her heart she thought was lost forever.

While I didn't hat this book, I just didn't enjoy it. 
I really wanted to, the idea for the story line seemed good to me, but it was just so boring and uninteresting. I could not connect with the characters at all and I really disliked the main character, Krista. I thought all the flashbacks were slow. I felt like I was forcing my way through it.
The only interesting parts to me was when it talked about the Alzheimer facility. That was the only thing that kept me going. Lisa Tawn Bergren has written many books. I would really like to try another one before giving up. I think it was just THIS book was not for me.
I received this book from Librarything Early Reviewers.

Comments

  1. I have been very curious about Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, and I do like weird books, but after reading your thoughts, I am not exactly sure this one is for me. I think it's kind of strange that there are so many pictures in this book as well. This is something I am going to have to think on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I loved Miss Peregrines...but, for me, the weirder the better. I also love books about WWII (check), orphans (check), and a little bit of magical realism (check, check), so I think I was destined to love it.
    I like your mini-reviews! Short and to the point (not a pun on the knitting book-LOL)
    Kristie
    textnjava

    ReplyDelete
  3. Craving Perfect sounds so cute. I want to meet Carlos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sending me a RAK this month! I went ahead and looked up your wish-list as well and sent you something in return to thank you for sending me one! I hope you enjoy yours too!

    I am a new follower to your blog as well!

    I'm very intrigued by Miss Peregrine's...wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I picked up Miss Peregrine's a while back. I hope I'll like it more than you did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm curious about Mrs. Peregrine's -but I may have to have some wine before I read it ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts