Fun Friday!



Welcome to Characterize It, a meme held every Thursday and hosted by http://theyabookbutterfly.blogspot.com/
As usual for memes, link the meme back to the host page so that other can join in!

Farm Girl: Girl or Guy character that lives on a farm at some point...

There are three books that come to mind that I have read and they are all excellent!

"Home to Woefield" by Susan Juby - 5 stars!
Home to Woefield is about learning how to take on a challenge, face your fears, and find friendship in the most unlikely of places. Prudence Burns, a well-intentioned New Yorker full of back-to-the-land ideals, just inherited Woefield Farm—thirty acres of scrubland, dilapidated buildings, and one half-sheared sheep. But the bank is about to foreclose, so Prudence must turn things around fast! Fortunately she'll have help from Earl, her banjo-playing foreman with a family secret; Seth, the neighbor who hasn't left the house since a high school scandal; and Sara Spratt, an eleven-year-old who's looking for a home for her prize-winning chickens.
Read my review - HERE 


"Hit by a Farm: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barn" - by Catherine Friend - 5 stars!
Farms have fences. People have boundaries. Mine began crumbling the day I knelt behind a male sheep, reached between his legs, and squeezed his testicles. This took place one blustery November day when I joined other shepherd-wannabees for a class on the basics of raising sheep. I was there with my partner Melissa, the woman I'd lived with for twelve years, because we were going to start a farm . When self-confessed "urban bookworm" Catherine Friend's partner of twelve years decides she wants to fulfill her lifelong dream of owning a farm, Catherine agrees. What ensues is a crash course in both living off and with the land that ultimately allows Catherine to help fulfill Melissa's dreams while not losing sight of her own. Hit by a Farm is a hilarious recounting of Catherine and Melissa's trials of "getting back to the land." It is also a coming-of (middle)-age story of a woman trying to cross the divide between who she is and who she wants to be, and the story of a couple who say "goodbye city life" — and learn more than they ever bargained for about love, land, and yes, sheep sex. 
I couldn't find my review for this book but it was hilarious! I was in tears from laughing so hard!


"Fifty Acres and a Poodle - A Story of Love, Livestock, and Finding Myself on a Farm" - by Jean Marie Laskas - 4 stars!
Jeanne Marie Laskas had dreams of life on a farm that she couldn't get out of her head. A dream of fleeing her otherwise happy urban life for fresh air and open space. A dream she would discover was about something more profound than that. A dream she never ever expected to come true. Until a hot summer afternoon led to a drive in the country, where a place that had existed only in her fantasies turned out to be real--and for sale. 
Again this book was hilarious! And again I couldn't find my review (I think both those books were on my old blog and got deleted, gasp!) 

 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't forget to enter all of my giveaways!
All Things Hidden - ends at the end of today! - HERE
Susanna's Dream 3/15 - HERE 
The Guide to Remedies 3/20 - HERE
Princess Ever After 3/20 - HERE 
 

Comments

  1. The cover of Home To Woefield is really pretty! I like that you picked more than one. I couldn't think of anymore after I had picked mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been meaning to try Home to Woefield.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I like the sound of Hit by a Farm. I need a good laugh so I'm adding this one to the list.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts